A. To drive abroad with a Moroccan driving licence
In order to help Moroccan citizens drive a vehicle abroad with a Moroccan driving licence, the Kingdom of Morocco concluded some bilateral agreements of recognition and conversion of the Moroccan driving licences with a certain number of countries (see list below).
The countries signatories of these agreements authorize the holders of a driving licence, delivered by the Moroccan authorities, to drive on their territory during their short stay (tourism, training course, studies, formations, etc.);
In the event of long stay, the interested parties must carry out the conversion of the driving licence and this shall be made in accordance with the conditions envisaged by the legislation in force in the host country.
Concerning the documents required for the conversion of the licence, the interested parties must refer to the legislation in force in these countries.
For the countries, with which Morocco did not conclude an agreement on the matter, it is necessary to have an international driving license.
B. To drive in Morocco with a foreign driving license
The law n° 52.05 bearing road code allows driving on the national territory by means of a foreign driving licence under the following conditions :
- Moroccans residing abroad may drive in the national territory, for a maximum of one year from the date of their final residence in Morocco, with a valid driving license;
- The people of foreign nationality may drive on the Moroccan territory if they are holders of a valid driving licence which is issued abroad, but this shall be only for one duration of a maximum of one year as from their temporary stay in Morocco as it is fixed by the legislation and the regulation in force relating to the entry and stay of foreigners in the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Upon the expiry of the one year duration referred to above, the holders of a licence delivered abroad must take the tests for obtaining the Moroccan driving licence or ask for the exchange of their driving licence.
The exchange of the driving foreign licence is possible in the following cases:
- If it is delivered by a State with which Morocco is bound by a mutual agreement of recognition of driving licence;
- If it is delivered by a State which admits the exchange of the Moroccan driving licence for a national licence.
Except for the above mentioned cases, the Moroccans residing abroad and going back definitively to Morocco may exchange their foreign licences for a Moroccan licence, even in the absence of a mutual agreement of recognition of driving licence between Morocco and the State which delivered the foreign licence.
C. To drive in Morocco with an international driving licence
Foreigners, who hold an international driving licence, may drive on the Moroccan territory during the period of validity of the licence. However, this duration cannot exceed one year.
D. Obtaining an international driving licence in Morocco
To obtain this type of permit, you must have a permanent and valid Moroccan driving license, and applying to the offices of "Touring Club of Morocco", by submitting the following documents :
- CNIE or Passport (original + copy);
- Moroccan driving license (original + copy);
- Two photographs;
- Applicable fees.
For more information, please contact one of the offices of "Touring Club", at the following addresses:
- Casablanca : 3, Av. de l'Armée Royale. - Tél : + 212 5 22 20 30 64
- Rabat : 45, Rue Patrice Lumumba. - Tél : + 212 5 37 76 45 39
- Marrakech : Guéliz, Rue Oued El Makhazine. - Tél : + 212 5 24 43 14 90
- Tanger : 2, place de France. - Tél : + 212 5 39 93 24 64
For more information, consult the title "driving license" on the website of the Ministry of Equipment, Transport, Logistics and Water :